Monday, August 10, 2015

#PB10for10



If you love picture books, then check out the hashtag: #PB10for10.  Thanks to @CathyMere and @MandyRobek for hosting this exciting event where nerdy friends share top 10 list of their "must-have" picture books.   


This year, I have decided to connect titles that support launching a year of reading, writing and thinking.  Happy Reading!


Bernard Waber with Suzy Lee Ask Me

Ask Me is a simple picture book that celebrates student voice.  I love this book for so many reasons.  "What do you like?  What else do you like?"  The conversation continues between a father and his daughter, but serves as a wonderful mentor text to get to know students in the beginning of the year. 



Let's Paint by Alborozo

This is a favorite picture book in my #growthmindset collection. Celebrate the possibilities.  What better way to start the year then to talk about learning being messy. Let's Paint, allows readers, writers and thinkers to take risks and celebrate the joy of learning, growing and having fun.  


If You Plant a Seed by Kadir Nelson

Author and illustrator, Kadir Nelson, never disappoints.  This is a "must-have" to reflect on with all ages.  Younger students will appreciate the illustrations and the message about choosing kind.  Older students can discuss the impact of our actions and non actions.  If we plant seeds of kindness, the ripples are endless.  




Wild Ideas: Let Nature Inspire Your Thinking - Kelsey

This book is a perfect example of literature that helps foster investigations.   This gorgeous new picture book is a favorite read aloud that celebrates wonder.  We can celebrate curious minds and also helps set the tone for a year of "wonder-ful" investigations.  Here's a recent  padlet to further celebrate the joy and wonder of nonfiction... #NFJoy!





My Pen by Christopher Myers

"All you need is your imagination. There are a million pens in the world and each one has a million worlds inside it.  Let those worlds inside your pen out!" 

That is exactly why- this is a must-have to kick off writing workshop.  What a great way to launch a year of writing possibilities.
  


Inside this Book (are three books) by Barney Saltzberg 

Another book to explore writing possibilities.  This book is a great introduction to writing workshop or our primary authors.  What I love about this mentor text is that it celebrates student voice and choice.  We can write about our everyday life.  We can writer about our observations of the world.  We can write poetry (anytime of year) and we can make our writing exactly what we want it to be... and then share it with the world.  The last page says, "Because books are better when they are shared."  


Check out the author reading from this book trailer.  




Rufus the Writer by Elizabeth Bram

Yes, that is story stand.  Who needs  a lemonade stand when you can read and write stories instead?  Yes... that is exactly what Rufus does.  Celebrate reading, writing and community all in one.  Rufus had me at hello.  


Have I Got a Book for You - by Melanie Watt

This is not a new title, but it fits the category for my #pb10for10 theme.  Getting to know our students as readers and knowing how to help "sell" books and match books to our readers, is one of our most important jobs as reading advisers (nod to Teri Lesesne).  The narrator is a "salesman" who can help facilitate the conversation around finding good fit books, book reviews, book talks or just support all around book love.  


How to Read a Story by Kate Messner

Honestly, Kate Messner is a genius!  I am so in love with this book.  If you haven't already seen this gem, you must run to your local indie book store today.  I would say hit the library, but there is no way that this book will remain on any library shelf.  This is the book that every teacher must own.  Sorry... but not really.  I love the way that this book demonstrates the process of reading.  From finding a comfy spot, to finding a buddy, finding the right book, reading and starting all over again.  Share this book and help your students fall in love with reading.  



I am Yoga--- comes out September 8th 


Finally... reading, writing, and thinking... involves the heart, mind and body... so number 10 is a soon to be released title by Susan Verde and Peter Reynolds ( an original #heartprintbook author).
This book is  a wonderful addition to a list of launching must-haves.  This latest title, like most of Peter Reynolds' books, touches the heart and minds of its readers. The author's note includes a NF twist- defining yoga poses and listing the benefits of yoga.   Students can benefit from the study of yoga or the ideas and journey through a range of  emotions and situations, using playful imagination, being creative and calming the mind and body.  


10 comments:

  1. I love this list. I'm always looking for new books that foster kindness so I'm definitely going to check out If You Plant a Seed. Also love all the others. I'm waiting for my copy of How to Read a Story to come in, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful list for so many reasons! I love your theme of inspiring voice, choice & creativity! I'm excited to explore Inside This Book! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great focus for your Top 10! Many of these are also ones I love, but I'm excited to check out the ones that are new (Ask Me, Inside this Book...). Thanks for sharing! My #pb10for10 is about PB featuring diverse characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a terrific list. I'm definitely borrowing some of your ideas to launch workshop in my classes. I really love My Pen. A couple of these are new to me as well--and I do love discovering new PBs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic list JoEllen! My Pen was also on my #pb10for10 list. I've added Let's Paint, Wild Ideas, Inside This Book, and Rufus the Writer to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this list for three reasons. One, I found 3 new to be titles: Rufus the Writer, Let's Paint and I am Yoga to my TBR list. Two, I see many of my favourites - Wild Ideas, My Pen, Have I Got a Book for You. Three, fantastic theme and wonderful reasons to share each title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fabulous list! I found 3 new titles: Have I Got a Book for You, Inside this Book, and If You Plant a Seed! I am adding them to my TBR list and wish list now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great list! I loved If You Plant a Seed - it's so beautiful! My Pen was fantastic, too. Kate Messner continues to amaze me by the sheer number, quality, and scope of books she puts out - How to Read a Story is no exception to her brilliance!! All the others are new to me, so I'll be adding them to my GIGANTIC TBR list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Pen and How to Read a Story are two of our new favorites. We can't wait to read Ask Me and Let's Paint - Both of these are new to us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack! All but two of these are new to me! This is going to be an expensive list!!!

    ReplyDelete